Over the past eight years, Duke University developed the majority of a Central Chilled Water System (CCWS) that consists of two central plants (28,000 ton cooling capacity) and 14 miles of distribution piping. The University’s Utility Master Plan confirmed that the central production and distribution of chilled water is the most efficient and economical method to provide the cooling needs for Duke University’s campus including the School of Medicine and Medical Center. The system provides chilled water for process equipment cooling and building air conditioning in a reliable and cost effective manner.
Services include utility billing/administrative services and operation, maintenance, and expansion of the University's central chilled water plant and distribution infrastructure from the point of generation to the point of delivery (building interface).
Duke Utility & Engineering Services High Voltage Shop is responsible for the installation, operation, maintenance and distribution of high voltage (12kV and 4kV) electric power on campus. The group supports the University, Hospital and Medical Center to maintain the integrity of the electric system on campus, which consists of five distribution substations, over 15 miles of duct banks and 62 miles of electrical cables.
- Preventative maintenance
- Installation, repair and replacement
- Dispatching, monitoring and operations
- Planning for new and increased loads
- Electric energy meter reading, repair and installations
- Street light repair, maintenance and installations
Building secondary service and interior electrical systems are handled by the Maintenance Services Electrical Shop.
Duke’s civil infrastructure consists of a vast array of water, drainage, and sewer systems, as well as paved roads, walks and parking lots, all serving the academic, research, and residential buildings and lands of Duke.
Roads, Sidewalks and Paths
DUES maintains over 18 miles of private roads and 24 miles of sidewalks, along with associated paths throughout its academic and residential areas.
Water, Sewer, & Storm Drainage
Duke maintains approximately 34 miles of City Water and Sewer Lines. Duke’s storm water runoff is collected in its storm drainage system. The storm drainage system consists of an extensive system of nearly 32 miles of storm pipes and drainage ditches.
Duke University’s steam system provides high-pressure steam to the entire Duke University, Hospital and Medical Center community by using natural gas, fuel, oil and recycled oil. While the system used to run on coal, Duke ended its use in April 2011. The steam is distributed through 35 miles of distribution piping and is used for space heating, hot water heating, hospital medical equipment sterilizing, dining services, pool heating, dishwashing and other process uses.
The steam system group provides engineering, capital project management, operations, maintenance and renewal of the underground steam distribution and condensate return system. The steamfitters maintain and operate approximately 35 miles of steam and condensate piping and associated manholes on campus which contain the valves for the system operation. Inside the building mechanical rooms, the steamfitters provide O&M on the steam metering stations, pressure reducing stations, and condensate return systems.
West Campus Steam Plant
Duke’s West Campus Steam Plant was built in 1929 and is located near Research Drive. In February 2009, the plant ended an 80-year tradition of coal delivery by rail car and began its step toward reducing Duke’s use of coal. Until then, it was the primary plant for heating East and West Campus in addition to the de-humidification of structures and sterilization of machinery for the Duke Health System.
With the opening of the renovated East Campus Steam Plant, the West Campus Steam Plant will be a peak shaving plant with the capacity to burn oil, recycled oil and natural gas when demand is high during the winter. Boilers at the West Campus Steam Plant use natural gas as a primary fuel and #2 fuel oil as a backup.
East Campus Steam Plant
Duke’s East Campus Steam Plant was built in 1929 and is located on the eastern end of Campus Drive, near Smith Warehouse. The 6,600-square-foot plant was used to heat Duke’s buildings from 1929 to 1978. In May 2008 the Duke Board of Trustees approved funding to renovate the plant to add capacity to the steam system, provide for future growth and burn natural gas, which produces lower emissions and greenhouse gases than coal. Renovations were completed in August 2010.
The renovated plant features 15 natural-gas Miura boilers, which require less water and time to produce steam and will also utilize propane as a backup fuel.